MET Courses

Theoretical exploration & Technological discovery!

On this page, please find a short description of the courses I took for the Master of Educational Technology program as well as a succinct explanation of my focus while I was completing it.

• If you click on the course links (also found on the right side bar), you will find a concise introduction to various posts that I chose to keep for this portfolio.
  • If you should wish to explore my findings more in details, for each course I have added an artifact related to the theme I chose to develop.
  • An audio journal of my discoveries is also at your disposal. To read my musings, click on: Audio Journal Transcript / or pdf file: audio-journal-transcript-in-refl.
Touch Screen Woman

Touch-screen & story boarding: the new frontier!

Remember: When you click on an item (artifact, post, page, etc.) the most direct way to return from where you came from is to click on the left arrow at the very top of the page (beside the “http” address, under the main blue bar).

ETEC 500 Research: Research Methodologies in Education

• This course introduces students to issues and practices in a range of educational research methodologies.
  • My focus: Research proposal for student-produced digital film & social responsibility.
  • Artifact: Article: Student-Produced Digital Films & Social Responsibility (ETEC 500)
  • Audio Journal:
    • Click here to hear my reflections about the course and the selected artifact: (duration: less than 1 min.)

ETEC 510 Design: Design of Technology-Supported Learning Environments

• An online seminar examining research, and exemplary media tools, as these inform the design of technology-mediated environments.
  • My focus: The relationship between pedagogical strategies, student motivation and knowledge acquisition.
  • Artifact: WIKI: Academic Achievement and Social Emotional Learning (ETEC 510)
  • Audio Journal

ETEC 511 Foundations: Foundations of Educational Technology

• This course provides both a disciplinary tour and poststructuralist deconstruction of the foundations of e-learning, educational technology, learning technologies, and new media.
  • My focus: How the study and use of communication technologies can encourage female students to consider careers in ICT.
  • Artifact: Article: Female Empowerment Through Educational Technology (ETEC 511)
  • Audio Journal:

ETEC 512 Applications: Applications of Learning Theories to Instruction

• This course is intended as an overview of the major theoretical approaches to learning, especially as they are applied to educational contexts.
  • My focus: This mind map links educational theories to the fields of digital film communication as well as linguistic development.
  • Artifact: MIND MAP: How to apply teaching perspectives and theories in Spanish and film production (ETEC 512)
  • Audio Journal:
    • Click here to hear my reflections about the course and the selected artifact: (duration: less than 1 min.)

ETEC 521 Indigeneity: Indigeneity, Technology and Education

• This course explores central concerns of globalization and Indigenous people related to educational policy and practice.
  • My focus: This paper explores the contextualization of aboriginal on-line education throught the use of authentic activities and technological processes such as the use of digital films.
  • Artifact: Article: E-learning Design for Indigenous Communities (ETEC 521)
  • Audio Journal:

ETEC 530 Constructivism: Constructivist Strategies for E-Learning

• This course provides the opportunity for participants to examine teaching that aims to learners’ learning. It examines literature on current research and practice concerning contemporary constructivist instructional strategies considered to be canonically effective.
  • My focus: The implementation of effective assessment strategies in a cooperative setting, with particular examples from a digital film communication course.
  • Artifact: Article: Assessment in a Situated Learning Environment (ETEC 530)
  • Audio Journal:

ETEC 531 Curriculum Issues: Cultural and New Media Studies

• This course provides a forum for exploring technocultural issues such as cyborgs and hybridity, digital property, cyberpunk fiction, the posthuman, AI and AEI, information warfare, virtual reality, third nature and religion.
  • My focus: The preponderance of communication and cultural studies in digital film production programs.
  • Artifact: DIGITAL FILM: Student films – culture – communication – TMP 1 (ETEC 531)
  • Audio Journal:

ETEC 532 Arts, Humanities & TechTechnology in the Arts and Humanities Classroom

• This course helps students understand the role of the arts in technology by historically reviewing the development of various technologies and their impact on development in the Arts, and examining socio-cultural considerations and their impact on the uses of technologies, aesthetics, pedagogy and curriculum in New Media contexts.
  • My focus: The use of digital film production as an effective part of a comprehensive technological program for language educators. 
  • Artifact: DIGITAL FILM: Technology & Spanish (ETEC 532)
  • Audio Journal:

ETEC 565: TBA

ETEC 590 E-portfolio: Graduating Project

• This course helps students create their graduating project in the form of an e-portfolio, which should synthesize and apply knowledge and theories gained from courses taken in the MET program.
  • To see the evaluation rubric I created, click Evaluation rubric
  • Audio Journal:
    • Click here to hear my reflections about the portfolio adventure: (duration: less than 1 min.)

Please click here to access the UBC MET program and official course descriptions: http://www.met.ubc.ca/

ubc_logo

Images: http://www.mech.ubc.ca/~xdlu/images/ubc_logo.jpg; http://www.esterline.com/Portals/14/SiteImages/TouchScreen.jpg